Hidden Harm - Parental Substance Misuse, Parental Mental Ill-Health and Domestic Abuse
Substance misuse, mental ill-health and domestic abuse. A toxic trio of parental behaviour and abuse that can have a huge impact on a child’s safety and wellbeing. Learn how you can help reduce the likelihood of a child suffering hidden harm with our 2 hour course.
This course is designed for anyone who works with children, young people and their families, including:
- Foster carers
- Social workers
- Care workers
This eight module course provides a detailed awareness of hidden harm (toxic trio) and how it affects parents and children. This course will give learners excellent knowledge of the issues that affect children living with hidden harm.
It will help the learner understand the cycle of events each hidden harm stressor produces, and highlights how to spot signs of harm and appropriate times to break this cycle of events to safeguard the child. You will automatically get a course certificate on course completion – with your name, the CPD hours, the date and learning objectives.
Once you’ve completed this course, you’ll have a knowledge of:
- What Hidden Harm is, the hidden harm stressors and how they are related
- The impact of domestic abuse on parenting and pregnancy
- Maternal domestic abuse
- The impact of mental ill-health
- Substance misuse
- The impact on infants and children
- Child exposure to hidden harm in homes
- Crisis theory and its impact on children
- Container-contained relationship theory and secure attachment and reflective functioning theories
- Eliciting key information safely
- Approaches to information gathering
- Structuring assessments and more