Safeguarding Children (Level 1)
Safeguarding Children (Level 1) helps you identify the need for safeguarding, what you should be looking out for to identify abuse, and the next steps if you have a concern for a child’s wellbeing. Containing 5 modules, this course builds a foundation level knowledge of safeguarding children.
This Safeguarding Children Level 1 course is intended for staff who fall into the following work groups:
Group 1: Staff who are in infrequent contact with children, young people and / or parents / carers and who may become aware of possible abuse or neglect.
Group 2: Those in regular contact or have a period of intense but irregular contact, with children, young people and / or parents / carers, who may be in a position to identify concerns about maltreatment, including those that may arise from the use of a common / early help assessment.
Please note: if you fall within the three work groups outlined below, you would need to complete additional training.
Group 3: Members of the workforce who work predominantly with children, young people and/or their parents/carers and who could potentially contribute to assessing, planning, intervening and reviewing the needs of a child and parenting capacity where there are safeguarding concerns.
Group 4: Members of the workforce who are responsible for making safeguarding referrals to the Police and Children’s Social Care
Group 5: Members of the workforce who have particular responsibilities in relation to undertaking section 47 enquiries, including professionals police and children’s social care; those who work with complex cases and social work staff responsible for co-ordinating assessments of children in need.
Please note: If you were in groups 3 to 5 above, you would need to complete the following course instead:
- Safeguarding Children Level 1 and 2 (Staff Group Levels 3, 4, 5 and 6)
This Safeguarding Children (Level 1) course will help to ensure that all people working with or who have contact with children and young people are equipped to carry out their safeguarding responsibilities effectively.
We have alternative versions of this course bundle written specifically for people work in the Education and Health sectors:
- Safeguarding Children - for Education (Level 1)
- Safeguarding Children - for Health (Staff Group Levels 1 and 2)
You will automatically get a course certificate on course completion – with your name, the CPD hours, the date and learning objectives.
The course contains additional resource materials, useful links and a refresher guide.
Once you’ve completed this course, you’ll have a knowledge of:
- The background, legal basis, key principles and definition for safeguarding, child protection and child abuse
- The importance of serious case reviews and Local Safeguarding Children’s Boards
- The concept of significant harm and what to do if child abuse is suspected
- Who abuses children and learn the definitions of physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse and neglect
- The causes of abuse and how to recognise signs of abuse from the victim and perpetrator
- The effects of abuse on children
- How to and how not to respond to concern that a child is at risk of harm
- What information to record and what to do if you have concern
- How to respond to a disclosure or allegation of abuse or neglect